Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Zomba


On the last week of spring break I was invited by some friends to go to one of the most beautiful places I have ever been....ZOMBA! WOW! It was like Africa, mixed with Oregon, mixed with Julian and Big Bear. I don't know how else to describe it but it wasn't like anything that I thought existed in Africa at all. My friends Dan & Beth and their baby Elijah invited me and my friend Michelle to come along since Josh was still in Tanzania on the outreach trip with Bob. We got to stay at a little rustic cabin for as cheap as $7 per night per person and the food shopping between the five of us was super reasonable. While we were there we really got to rest and relax. It was pretty chilly because we were up in the mountains, so we made a fire every morning and night which was a nice change. It just felt like being home for a few days for some strange reason? Anyway, we went hiking to the top of the plateau and stopped at many beautiful dams and waterfalls on our way up to Queen's view at the very top. It was a little foggy, but so beautiful! We could see all of Zomba and it was a treat for the eyes!












The dirt in Zomba is a deep rich red and has a texture similar to clay. It got a little slippery at times and it did not help that I brought one old converse shoe and one new converse shoe to hike in!! He he he! Oh well! Here are some pictures of some of the unbelievable African men who walk up to the top of the plateau (several hours each way) every day to cut wood, load it on their bikes, and then walk it all back down the mountain stacked ridiculously high. Some of these guys do not even wear any shoes at all and I just can't get over how beat up and different their feet look from ours! Ouch! We are so wimpy, at least I feel wimpy compared to these guys! Check them out! They do all of this for maybe 700 Kwatcha a day (about $5 US dollars).









Anyway, after hiking and visiting the trout farm, we got to go horseback riding the next day through the beautiful wilderness. A lady right across the street from where we were staying had horses so it was the perfect thing to do on a fresh, crisp morning.






Here are a bunch of pictures from the hike but they do not do this place any justice at all! I was grateful for a few days away from campus life! It can get a little claustrophobic around here during the holidays when everyone is away. It was a wonderful blessing that I will never forget! Here are some more pictures of our fun time!







2 comments:

Annaleah said...

Em...I'm so glad you got away and had such a great time. :) It is really beautiful there! Miss you guys!

Kristin said...

Aw, I miss you Emily! Those are some pretty cool photos--what a beautiful place!

background